Wednesday, June 30, 2010

One Day by David Nicholls

I just finished reading One Day by David Nicholls.  The story follows the lives of Dexter and Emma by returning to them on the same day every year to see what has happened to each of them, as well as where their relationship has gone.  It's a good concept.  However, I found myself wanting to slap both Dexter and Emma throughout the book (or at least flick them in the forehead).  I was frustrated with the missed opportunities that they had, and their lack of communication was depressing to me.  I guess that's what makes them believable, this is what people do.

There are several funny moments.  I loved the letters that they wrote to each other.  As I have heard many people say, this will obviously be headed to the movies.  I won't give away anything about then ending, but I will say that it was predictable for me.  It wasn't a feel-good story in my opinion, although realistic.  In this case, realistic was a frustrating read. 

No comments: