Friday, October 29, 2010

A Golden Age by Tahmima Anam

I have had A Golden Age on my Kindle for such a long time. I have no idea why it has taken me so long to read it, but I have been missing out. What an amazing book this is! For one thing this is a history lesson on the Bangladesh Liberation War and the genocide that took place in 1971.  The story is set mainly in the area of the University of Dhaka.  It's a story about Rehana and her two children, Maya and Sohail.  The children both attend the university. Maya is a feminist who is frustrated with not being able to contribute more to the war, and Sohail is a pacifist who becomes a guerilla soldier. The book is full of colorful characters that show many different perspectives on the war. I loved so many of them. Rehana's character development throughout the book was my favorite, but I also became very attached to Sohail.  I've seen some reviews that say that this is the beginning of a trilogy. I will definitely be looking for the next book. 5/5  

1 comment:

TheBookGirl said...

Another interesting one....I know next to nothing about this subject..