Saturday, February 12, 2011

Someone Else's Garden by Dipika Ria

Someone Else's Garden is about Mamta, the daughter of a cruel low-caste father who has arranged a horrific marriage to get rid of her. Mamta is a hopeful dreamer who goes from one abusive home to another until she is forced to run away in order to save her own life. The story follows many characters, including Mamta's mother and brother, as well as members of the rich family who owns their farm. At first it was somewhat difficult to keep track of the different storylines, but they eventually begin to connect to each other.  The picture of life for females in rural India is intense and depressing. At times it was hard for me to continue reading, although I am glad that I did.  It is difficult to comprehend how people can live this way in the modern world. I remember having this same reaction when I read
A Fine Balance  by Rohinton Mistry. I am glad that I read it, but I have a hard time recommending it to someone else.  The ending didn't seem to fit with the rest of the book in some ways. It gave a hopeful turn to a very bleak story, but I had a hard time accepting the changes in some of the characters.  I would rate it a 4/5, and I would suggest it to readers who are comfortable with very depressing but realistic stories.

3 comments:

Siobian said...

I have heard really great things about this book and am looking forward to reading it! Thank you for the review! Also, I love your blog and reviews and would like to give you the Stylish Blogger award.
http://siobianthebookowl.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blogger-award.html
I hope you enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Christine said...

Siobian,
This isn't a book for everybody, but it is for those of us who love to read about other cultures even if it's upsetting. The story itself was worth it.
Thank you for the kind words!

TheBookGirl said...

I think I would like this one, but not right now...I need some cheerier reads, but will keep this in mind for a later time. Great review Christine :)