Monday, May 9, 2011

The Good Sister by Drusilla Campbell

I wasn't sure if I really wanted to read a story about post-partum depression, mental illness, and the attempted murder of children (sounds like a fun Mother's Day read, eh?), but something in the book description grabbed me. It starts off at the trial of Simone, the younger of two grown sisters, but the main focus of the book is on Roxanne. Good thing since Roxanne was the only person that I could tolerate in this book. A great deal of the story goes back to the time before the crime, and some is spent in Roxanne and Simone's childhood.

I know that the characters in this story are meant to be unlikable. The problem was that there wasn't really anyone to care about. Roxanne and her niece, Merell, should have been those characters but they seemed pretty flat to me. I'm not sure if we were supposed to have sympathy for Roxanne's husband and his struggles dealing with the sisters' relationship...I didn't. I read this book straight through in two days. That's why I gave it 3 stars, it kept me interested enough to finish it. However, I can't imagine wanting to read this author again. That says more to me. I would give it a weak 3/5.

1 comment:

TheBookGirl said...

Love the first line of your review :)
You did a great job assessing a book that clearly wasn't a winner for you.